The Amerikahaus is currently open
The opening of the Amerikahaus and its exhibit areas depends on the new "Hospital signal light" and the average daily case rate in the last 7 days communicated by the municipality of Munich. As of Tuesday, November 09, 2021, the corona ‘traffic light’ is at red. According to the fifteenth Bavarian Infection Protection Measures Ordinance (15th BayIfSMV) of November 23, 2021, the 2G plus rule (vaccinated/recovered plus negative test result) applies at Amerikahaus for visitors over the age of 12 years. Please arrive with test results from an official test center. Underage students from 12 years of age do not have to present a test certificate; they are considered to be "tested" while school is in operation. It is mandatory to wear an FFP2 mask and to maintain a minimum distance of 1.5 m (ca. 6 ft) from all other visitors and Amerikahaus staff for the duration of your visit. For visitors between 6 and 16 years of age, a medical mask is sufficient. Please refrain from visiting the Amerikahaus if you feel unwell or have symptoms of a cold.
Your health and the health of other visitors and staff are very important to us! For this reason, we kindly ask that you follow the health and safety instructions regarding the current Corona pandemic. Depending on which area of the Amerikahaus you wish to visit, please click below and read the instructions and information:
Education and Exchange
Thank you very much for your cooperation and understanding.
Photo: © Nelly Antoniadou, unsplash.com
Instructions for Visiting the Exhibition (Last update: Nov. 24, 2021)
The Amerikahaus and its exhibition(s) are open Wednesday to Friday from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
What to expect upon arrival at Amerikahaus:
Visits are not allowed for those who have had contact with someone infected with Covid-19 within the last 14 days. If you are showing symptoms upon arrival, we may ask you to reschedule your visit for a later time.
• Our colleagues at the front desk will check your 2G plus status. There you will also be asked to register with your contact information.
• A touchless hand sanitizer dispenser is available for your convenience at the entrance.
• Wearing an FFP2 mask for the entirety of your visit is mandatory. For visitors between ages six and 16, a medical mask is sufficient.
• It is mandatory to maintain a minimum distance of 1.5 m (ca. 6 ft) from all other visitors and personnel in Amerikahaus.
• Please obey all signage, including those on the floor, and use only the allowed entrances and exits (also marked).
• Please note that the coat check is currently not available due to hygiene measures.
Instructions for Visiting Events (Last update: Nov. 24, 2021)
In-person indoor events and meetings are allowed.
All participants must adhere to the following rules:
- Visitors ages 12 and up must follow the 2G plus rule at the front desk (access only for vaccinated/recovered and with negative test result).
- Wearing a FFP2 mask throughout the building and at all times is mandatory. For visitors between 6 and 16 years, a medical mask is sufficient.
- In all events rooms and on fixed seats, keeping a distance of 1.5 meters (approx. 6 ft.) to others is mandatory.
You can read up on our current events in the event section.
Instructions for Visiting the Research Center (Last update: Nov. 24, 2021)
Reserach Center Rules and Policy during the Corona Pandemic:
Visitors should be aware of the following in the research center ares:
- A FFP2 mask is required during the entire visit to the Amerikahaus. For visitors between 6 and 16 years, a medical mask is sufficient.
- Visitors and staff should maintain a distance of 1.5m (approx. 6 ft.) from all non-contact group people at all times.
- Visitors must follow all posted signage and floor markings in Amerikahaus.
- Eating is not allowed during visits to the Amerikahaus. Water in transparent containers is allowed at the workstations in the Information & Research center.
Please note that we can only allow research centers visitors with confirmed registration and with proof of accepted Covid status.
Upon registration, you are assuring that:
- you do not have symptoms associated with COVID-19 or are a contact person to someone who is actually infected
- you will adhere to the house rules
- may be contacted should a chain of infection be detected
- you acknowledge that you enter the America House at your own risk
- you comply with the house rules, including hygiene measures, provided that you otherwise have to leave the Amerikahaus immediately.
General information about your registration:
- Visitors must sign up for an research appointment at least two workdays in advance, and are only allowed into the Amerikahaus at the confirmed time and must check in at the front desk.
- Unregistered guests are not allowed.
- Your appointment confirmation is non-transferable and is only active for the registered time/date.
- The workstations and communal areas of the library are regularly disinfected. Visitors should only use one workstation; switching to another desk is not allowed.
- Books must also be ordered in advance with your registration. You may order up to ten titles. Have a look at our catalog here.
- Do not touch books or magazines that are on the shelves. Only your requested items may be used.
- Library visitors are allowed to stay up to 4 hours (2-6 p.m.) on their confirmed research day.
- Each individual must submit their own form, or all names within a contact group must be on a single form.
Instructions for Visiting the Education & Exchange Area (Last update: Nov. 24, 2021)
Unfortunately, we cannot offer our usual, in-person open office hours or in-person consultation appointments at this time. You do not have to forego a personalized consultation, though! We currently offer appointments online with the help of virtual consultation rooms.
If you would nevertheless like to book an in-person meeting, contact us and we can make arrangements.
Advising via Phone and Email
You can, of course, ask us your questions in an email or over the phone. You can reach us on the phone Mo-Tu, 2-5p p.m. at +49 (0) 89 55 25 37-17.
Checking out Books
We will continue offering our standard book lending service for your preparations for your stay abroad.
For the time being, we can't let you browse our selection in person, but we can offer the following way to find and check out what you need:
1. Here you can view a list of Education & Exchange books.
2. Let us know via email up to 3 titles that you would like to check out and on what day you are planning to pick them up.
- We will let you know if the books are available and suggest alternatives should they already be on loan. We will also inform you about possible timeslots to get your books on your preferred day of pick-up.
- Let us know which timeslot fits best and we will reserve it for you to pick up your books.
- If you are using our book loan services for the first time, fill out the checkout form directly at pick-up.
- The maximum loan period cannot exceed 4 weeks. Please schedule a new appointment with us to return your books.